Saturday, July 30, 2011

Making Progress

So apparently full fat yogurt, cheese and bites of mama's ice cream have done the the trick. My little guy gained 7 ounces since our last doctor's visit two weeks ago. He's up to 16 lbs, 2 ozs. He's definitely small for his age, but the doctor was happy with that growth.

She said that any number of things could have caused the slow growth last time. Since his urine culture was negative for anything concerning, he's gained a good amount and he's alert and active, she doesn't feel the need to do blood work at this time. She does want us to see a nutritionist to talk about calories and that sort of thing. I said okay, but honestly, I don't see myself getting a whole lot out of it. Obviously, if I keep feeding him like I have been he'll keep gaining.

She also said that she will take a look at the breastfed baby chart. She said that the charts they use are for formula fed babies (which I knew, having scoped the "Enfamil" logo at the bottom of the chart at our last visit), and that she doesn't know why they don't use the breastfed charts for breastfed babies. Her suspicion is that on a BF baby chart, his growth will be perfectly normal.

I'm happy she realizes the difference and that she plans to check the appropriate chart, but I'm a little annoyed that it took her this long to mention it. Granted, our 9 month visit was the first time we'd seen this particular doctor in a while since she'd been out on her own maternity leave. I suspect BFing her own child has influenced her to be a little more proactive in that department. I think the other doctors in the practice (who we saw for our initial weight checks) might be a little more old school and while they are very pro-BFing, they don't seem to see the problem with using FF charts for BF babies.

All the same, we have another weight check in three weeks just to make sure that he continues packing on the ounces. That's fine with me because I really do want to rule out the possibility of any kind of digestive issue. I'll just make sure to keep seeing this particular doctor and leave the old dudes for some other mama.

2 comments:

  1. Good job little Jack!!!
    What kind of yogurt does he eat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. he eats stonyfield farm yobaby.

    ReplyDelete