Friday, July 15, 2011

Here we go again...


So we had our 9 month well-baby check up today. Here's the good news...my baby boy is happy, healthy and thriving. He's personable and smiles at all the nurses and staff. He's something of a flirt, really. He's meeting his milestones and seems relatively smart. I'm not saying I've got the next Einstein here, but I'm pretty sure he's no dope either.

So here's the bad news...he only gained an ounce since our last visit three weeks ago. He is up to 15 lbs, 11 ozs., and we are back to weight checks. I don't know what is going on with this child, but he cannot seem to gain a significant amount of weight.

At our last weight check, we breathed a sigh of relief and I assumed all this was behind us. That's what I get for assuming.

The doctor isn't super worried, and because he's so healthy, active and happy, I'm not too worried either. But, that doesn't mean I'm going to bury my head in the sand and just hope that there isn't something more going on. So now I get to collect a urine sample for some tests, keep a food log to track calories, and go back for another weight check in two weeks. After that we'll reassess and do bloodwork if necessary.

Part of me almost wishes it were something as simple as low breastmilk supply at this point. If it were that, then I'd know that there is nothing wrong with my baby and there would be a simple solution.

But as it is, we are left to wonder. I'm going to try to wonder only and not wonder and worry, but it's a tough line to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment